Skip to content

Man in medical distress behind Black Diamond lockdowns

No charges to be laid in threat-uttering incident
RCMP car logo
A man was transported to hospital following an incident that had Black Diamond residents sheltering in place and unable to pick up their kids from school and daycare. File photo Brent Calver/Western Wheel

Yesterday's incident that resulted in a shelter in place order and temporary lockdowns for schools, daycares and the hospital in Black Diamond has ended with a man being taken to hospital by RCMP for a medical assessment. 

Cpl. Tammy Keibel said that there will be no charges laid in relation to the incident. 

Turner Valley RCMP responded to a home in the area of 1 Street SE and 2 Avenue SE in response to an uttering threats incident Tuesday, Dec. 14, around 11:35 a.m.

The area around the residence was contained and the Alberta RCMP Emergency Response Team and RCMP Police Dog Services were deployed to the scene. 

The Black Diamond Fire Department were also involved in the call, as well as emergency medical services. Traffic was diverted away from the area while those living in the vicinity were asked to evacuate or shelter in place. 

Keibel said the significant amount of resources allocated to the incident were based on the assessment of the threat. 

"The matter was isolated to the residence and place where ensuring the subject of the complaint wasn't going to harm themselves," she said. "The police presence was in response to the possibility that there was a firearm present. So the necessary resources were engaged based on the risk assessment made at the time." 

To the RCMP's knowledge, Keibel said, there was not anyone else in the residence with the individual at the time. 

RCMP were able to communicate with the man inside the home and he was taken into custody after leaving the building, a statement reads.

The man was found to be in medical distress and was taken to hospital by local authorities for further assessment. 

RCMP were not able to confirm whether the individual was still in hospital as of Dec. 15. 

More to come.